Entrepreneurs seeking to tackle spear phishing and cryptocurrency-based cyber crime are among the latest recruits of the GCHQ Cyber Accelerator.
A total of nine startups have been selected for the second cohort of the programme, on the basis that their services could enhance the UK’s cyber defences.
Over nine months, the participants will be connected to experts at GCHQ, the National Cyber Security Centre and Telefonica’s Wayra business network.
At the NCSC’s London HQ last week, the entrepreneurs presented their innovations to representatives from the three organisations.
NCSC’s Chris Ensor said officials and entrepreneurs would come together to provide novel solutions to the UK’s cyber security challenges.
“The Accelerator offers NCSC the opportunity to combine our insights into cyber risk and deep expertise, with agile companies offering exciting new ideas,” he said.
Minister for digital, Matt Hancock, said it’s essential the UK leads the way on cyber security “to fulfil our ambition of making Britain the safest place to in the world to be online”.
“The GCHQ Cyber Accelerator programme is a great example of government, industry and tech startups coming together to benefit from the advice of world class experts and tackle cyber crime,” he added.
The nine selected startups are:
- Cybershield alerts employees before they mistakenly act on phishing and spear phishing emails
- Elliptic detects cybercrime involving crypto-currencies and provides intelligence to financial institutions and law enforcement agencies
- ExactTrak provides embedded technology that lets users control their devices even when they are turned off
- Intruder provides a security monitoring platform for internet-facing systems and businesses
- Ioetec offers a plug-and-play cloud service solution to connect Internet of Things devices with encrypted security
- RazorSecure provides intrusion and anomaly detection for the aviation, rail and automotive sectors
- Secure Code Warrior is a gamified learning platform to help developers write secure code
- Trust Elevate offers an age verification and parental consent tool for online transactions
- Warden provides real time monitoring of suspicious activity